I recently wrote a blog for SoundGirls about my Gibbs’ Rules, which you can read here:
For those who are interested, here is the full list of the rules. Enjoy!
1. ALL HUMANS ARE STUPID (and everyone’s human).
2. ON TIME IS UNACCEPTABLE. BE EARLY.
3. THE BOOK MATTERS MORE THAN YOU DO.
4. IF NO ONE WROTE IT DOWN, IT’S LIKE IT NEVER HAPPENED.
5. PATIENCE, KINDNESS, AND ALCOHOL DON’T SOLVE PROBLEMS, but they have been known to shrink them.
6. GIVE LOTS OF THANKS, EXPECT NONE IN RETURN.
7. EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
8. ONE IS NEVER ENOUGH; ALWAYS CARRY A SPARE.
9. BE PREPARED FOR ANYTHING.
10. EVERYTHING IS YOUR FAULT.
11. EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO UN-CHANGE
12. CAN IT WAIT?
13. It’s probably good if at least one person knows where you are.
14. DON’T APOLOGIZE, JUST FIX IT.14A. SAY YOU’RE SORRY WHEN IT’S NOT YOUR FAULT. (see #10)
15. YOU WILL BE CALLED UPON TO ACT.
16. KNOW YOUR LIMIT.
17. NO TEARS IN TECH. (adapted from Tina Shackleford)
18. ALWAYS HAVE A HAND FREE.
19. IT’S A SMALL WORLD AFTER ALL.
20. BE STRONG WHEN NO ONE ELSE CAN.
21. SOMEONE IS ALWAYS LISTENING.
22. THERE ARE NO SECRETS (KEEP THEM WELL).
23. GOOD FORMATTING TAKES TIME.
24. IF YOU CAN’T SAY YES, DON’T SAY NO.
25. THE SHOW MUST GO ON (EXCEPT WHEN IT CAN’T). (adapted from Tina Shackleford)
26. When in doubt, dress to impress. (credited to my Mom, Catherine Stoll)
27. When in doubt, don’t be.
28. IF YOU DON’T KNOW THE ANSWER, KNOW WHO TO ASK.
29. BE ABLE TO SAY IT TWO WAYS.
30. STUPID QUESTIONS BEATS NO QUESTIONS. (credited to Taylor Speegle)
31. YOU’RE BACK WHEN THE BOSS IS BACK. (credited to Brian Rangell)
32. Watch your mouth, fool.
33. Nothing can be tested too many times. (credited to Shannon Slaton)
34. Knowing what you’re doing is only 1/3 of the job. (credited to Dan Miele)
35. ALWAYS READ YOUR CONTRACT.
36. When in doubt, await further instructions.
37. 99 problems but you ain’t one.
38. Withholding information is not always the same thing as lying…
39. It’s never about the ruler.
40. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND STAY IN YOUR LANE.